Typically, engineers create multiple models for various aspects of a project, such as steel frame and concrete slab design, in separate tools, and then combine those by recreating a new building information model from scratch, wasting time and increasing the potential for errors during the construction process. Tekla Structural Designer eliminates the need to recreate a combined model by allowing engineers to work from the same analysis and design model throughout the entire process. Through powerful integration with Tekla Structures, Trimble’s robust 3D modeling software, and other tools, Tekla Structural Designer facilitates more collaborative BIM processes.
“Many of us at Trimble are engineers and we understand the importance that productivity, value engineering, constructability and change management play in the design and build process,” said Barry Chapman, director of Tekla’s Engineering portfolio. “We created Tekla Structural Designer to further extend the benefits of 3D modeling directly to engineers by bringing them the power to better analyze and design in a way that can save time, cut costs and provide a competitive edge.”
Tekla Structural Designer delivers powerful features for optimizing concrete and steel design, including the ability to quickly compare alternative design schemes, efficiently manage changes and collaborate seamlessly. Regardless of project size or complexity, Tekla Structural Designer’s fully automated, productivity-enhancing capabilities enable engineering firms to improve operations, successfully bid more projects and enhance client service.
Tekla Structural Designer delivers extensive benefits to address the real-world needs and challenges of engineers.
- Creating a single analysis and design model eliminates the need for post-processing analysis results.
- Fully automated loading and design includes wind loading and finite element analysis for faster design times.
- Product documentation is automatically produced, allowing engineers to make informed decisions at every stage.
- Users can quickly create and compare multiple design options for determining the most competitive scheme and, as a result, bid more projects.
- Changes can be easily managed for reduced response time at any stage of a project, and applied across the entire model to instantly assess impact and automatically get a re-design in seconds.
- Calculation reports that update automatically eliminate the need to generate new reports manually when changes occur.
- Users can synchronize models across teams as many times as they wish, without compromising vital design data.
- Additions, changes or deletions can be viewed through integration with powerful auditing tools, reducing the risk of errors.
- Seamless integration with Tekla and other BIM software improves communication and collaboration both within the structural design office and with other project parties, including technicians, fabricators and architects.
Tekla Structural Designer is available now. The software is supported with a range of services including local technical support provided by experienced structural engineers and an online knowledge base with learning materials.